NOTE

The information and opinions on this blog come from parents, and the blog is not associated with Primary Children´s Medical Center or any other institution.

Welcome!

This site is specifically for parents of kids with clefts being treated at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, but I hope that there will be information that is helpful to all parents of kids with clefts. If you are just starting to learn about clefts, I would suggest starting with the "General Information" topic and going from there. To find information on a specific doctor or topic, click on one of the links on the right. You can also search the blog using the box below the topic list. If you have information or experiences to share, please leave comments or contact me to do a guest post at kidswithcleftsblog@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, November 2, 2009

Counting Down to Surgery

This is an excerpt from my personal blog from before Ethan's second surgery.


We are down to 2 days before Ethan's lip and nose repair, and I still don't think it has hit me yet. I don't know what exactly is supposed to be hitting me, but it seems like something should. I am always a little hesitant to talk a lot about how I'm feeling with all this (particularly on a blog), but it has helped me to hear other people's experiences through the cleft palate group on Yahoo! Groups here in Utah, so I'll share at least a little.

I think that I went through a lot of emotions between the time we found out that Ethan had a cleft and the time he was born, but since then I have really felt like things have been pretty normal overall. But I think that this surgery will be a bit harder, because I am slowly realizing that pretty soon I won't be seeing the same little face anymore.

I think that if Ethan were really sick and suffering already it would seem natural to have him go into surgery because it would only improve things. It's a little tougher taking my little guy in when he is so happy and doing so well; I almost feel like I'm inflicting it on him, even though I know it isn't really an option not to do it, and he really will be grateful his whole life that I did it. And compared with so many other conditions that exist, Ethan's is relatively mild, and we feel really grateful for that, too.

So I am bracing myself a little bit for whatever it is that I'm sure will hit me when we take him in on Thursday, taking a little extra time to be grateful and enjoy that wide little smile while we have it, and looking forward to all of this being overwith!

No comments:

Post a Comment