NOTE

The information and opinions on this blog come from parents, and the blog is not associated with Primary Children´s Medical Center or any other institution.

Welcome!

This site is specifically for parents of kids with clefts being treated at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, but I hope that there will be information that is helpful to all parents of kids with clefts. If you are just starting to learn about clefts, I would suggest starting with the "General Information" topic and going from there. To find information on a specific doctor or topic, click on one of the links on the right. You can also search the blog using the box below the topic list. If you have information or experiences to share, please leave comments or contact me to do a guest post at kidswithcleftsblog@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How can I help my baby adapt to solids?

It seems pretty common for babies with clefts to be somewhat averse to solid foods. Here are some suggestions from parents:

"[My son] had a really hard time with solids for a while. Does your little one have a palate prosthesis yet? That made things a bit easier for [him], even though he still gagged and choked a bit. When his soft palate was repaired all that stopped and he could eat just fine. But if he's not ready, there's no reason to push it. There's no schedule that says your baby has to be on solids by a certain age. And with a bottle like the pigeon, where he'll have to work his mouth and tongue muscles differently to drink, you may see improvement in his eating ability.
Good luck!"

"With feeding my one twin... loved baby food the other... hated baby food but loved what we were eating. We would mash or food process it up or very tiny pieces lot and lots of sweet potatoes and baked potatoes. And now she eats better than her sister.  I know there are certain things you have to buy in baby food form because it is safer I can't remember what they are. We would mix them in with their lunch bottles I would make a sluah and had cut the nipple bigger and no vent (white thing) that helped [my baby that didn't like food] a lot but now like I said she eats way better than her sister especially when she feeds it to herself."

"We didn't give [our baby] cereal until after he had been eating fruits and veggies for a while. Maybe try doing it this way. This way he'll get used to eating mushy food like fruit, and since it tastes really good it may be more enticing. The cereal just seemed to give him really bad gas."

"my daughter (no cleft) refused to eat any and all baby foods. She wouldn't even eat applesauce. We kept trying cereals, fruit and veggie puree and nothing. Then one weekend, when she was about 7 months old, she got a taste of mashed potatoes and also some macaroni and cheese, and she was an immediate fan. By the end of the next week she was eating chicken and anything else we could give her that wasn't super hard (she had NO teeth at the time!). She loved food, but hated baby food! After that she would eat regular oatmeal, cream of wheat, yogurt, pasta, cubed and cooked carrots, bread, and anything else that wasn't really crunchy. Your boy may just not like the texture of baby food."

"With solids, my boys didn't do well with any of the fruit ones or things with vitamin c/absorbic acid.  I think it stung their nasal passage.  We stuck with veggies or mashed up fruit without anything added to it.  It took lots of practice, but they eventually were able to down everything.  I did find though that once they sneezed, that was the signal feeding time was over (or else it would turn into a struggle).

"Another thing that helped with feeding time, is if I grabbed an extra spoon and let my son play with it while I held the other spoon and fed him.  I don't know if it distracted him or what, but it seemed to make things easier."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment